Lightweight universal HEMA ruleset that is simple to understand for fencers, referee friendly and easily scalable for larger competitions!
- Fight will last 3 mins with a cap of 20 points.
- Clean Hit Scoring: 5 (deep) or 3 (shallow)
- Double/Afterblow Scoring: fully weighed, hits deducts points from each other
- Long Afterblow Rule = defender is allowed up to 2 afterblow actions within one step range with no time limit
- Each fight will consist of unlimited number of exchanges with a 3 mins time limit and/or a cap of 20 points (points gained in the last exchange can go above 20, to max of 24 (19+5) for a deep target)
- Time doesn’t stop in between exchanges unless requested specifically by the referee
- Final exchange called at 10 secs mark (no time limit)
- CLEAN HIT (no afterblow or afterblow is parried):
- 5 points for a clean hit at deep target area (head, torso)
- 3 points for a clean hit at shallow target area (arms, legs)
- DOUBLE/AFTERBLOW (both sides hit, valid afterblow delivered within one step):
- Fully weighed afterblow: hits deducts points from each other:
- 5 Red 3 Blue = 2 Red
- 3 Red 5 Blue = 2 Blue
- 5 Red 5 Blue = 0 no score
- 3 Red 3 Blue = 0 no score
- 0 Red 0 Blue – 0 no score (no quality or unclear exchange)
- What counts as valid strike:
- Cut made with at least 45 cm travelling arc with proper edge alignment
- Thrust made with enough impact to make the bend of the blade visible
- Slice made with at least 45 cm slicing (in or out) motion with proper edge alignment
- What does not count as a valid strike and should be rejected:
- Cut/Slice executed with a flat or poor edge alignment
- Thrust executed without visible bend of the blade
- Cut/Slice resulted in edge travelling less than 45 cm
- Light taps, scratches, hits at the outer protecting layer that otherwise would have missed the body
- What counts as valid strike:
- Strikes with the body and wrestling do not score any points but can be used (in controlled manner) in order to facilitate scoring with a weapon (blade or pommel). Joint locks and throws are not allowed!
- Pommel strikes and disarms can score only if used in control manner and will be awarded with 3 points,
- Ring out (only with both feet and only if the other fencer didn’t step out as well) is awarded 1 point to the fencer that stayed in a ring
- Disallowed targets: groin area, back of the head & spine area, back of the knee, ankle and feet
- Each fighter starts an exchange in their dedicated corner
- Only one designated person (Second) is allowed in the corner
- Main referee will call the start (Fight) and stop (Hold) of the exchange
- After the HOLD command both fighters need to stop immediately and go back to their corners
- Parrying a late attack is allowed but attacking is not.
- Any attack made after the HOLD command is nullified
- Fighters can only dispute referee decisions through their Seconds (and only when standing in their corners)
- Main referee will always make the final call, after consulting with fighters and side referees
- There will be a Warning/Yellow/Red Card system in place to be used as a penalty system.
- There can be only one warning per fighter per tournament, each next warning will result in Yellow Card
- Yellow Card will nullify the points gained within the same exchange and is recorded on the score card, there can be no more than 2 yellow cards given to one person in a tournament
- Red Card disqualifies fighter from the tournament (3rd Yellow Card automatically becomes Red Card)
- Warning and further penalties will be used by referees in order to control the order of bout and fighters behavior during the event. Excessive force, dangerous behaviour, time delaying tactics, presenting lower value targets and any other forms of gaming the ruleset will result in a warning/yellow card penalty.
- Tournament progression is based on points not wins,
- Pools will be designed to give each participant maximum number of fights and will be seeded whenever possible
- Tournament structure will be made available online before the event – currently we are using HEMA Scorecard for all our tournaments,